The aim of the Smoking Cessation support service is to provide extended access through the NHS, including the provision of advice and smoking cessation products, in order to help smokers successfully stop smoking as part of the Public Health Service (PHS) element of the community pharmacy contract.
The NHS Forth Valley Stop Smoking Guidance V2 (May 2018) provides information for staff on medicines and services when undertaking Stop Smoking interventions. It is aimed at all those practitioners who, during their contact with patients, discuss their smoking.
Contacts – Forth Valley Stop Smoking Service Team
- Stop Smoking Mailbox – FV-UHB.StopSmoking-SRI-FDRI@nhs.net
- 01786 433293 / 01786 433295
Carbon Monoxide Monitors
- NHS Forth Valley Varenicline PGD (Version 4, March 2019)
- Sample Varenicline Letter to GP (November 2014)
- Varenicline Risk Assessment (October 2018)
- Sample CP Varenicline Supply Letter to GP (November 2014)
Training and Guidance
A NHS Education for Scotland (NES) e-Learning pack is available to all community pharmacy contractors and their support staff to help implement the service. The pack can be accessed via TURAS Learn.
In addition to the NES training, NHS Health Scotland has a Virtual Learning Environment , for which Pharmacists and Support Staff can register for an account. We would recommend completion of the following modules in the Health Behaviours and Supporting Change Learners Area: