Pharmaceutical Care for Patients Prescribed Direct Acting Antivirals (DAAs) in Hepatitis C Treatment
Forth Valley Community Pharmacy (FV-CP) and NHS Forth Valley have an agreed model of delivery of pharmaceutical care for patients prescribed direct acting antivirals for Hepatitis C in Forth Valley. The model embraces a patient centred approach to treatment where the community pharmacy is reimbursed for providing a package of care (i.e. a treatment fee per patient) rather than payment per item of dispensing/supervision service. The payment is £124 per month while the patient is on DAAs.
Please refer to the resources below for the service specification and contract pertaining to DAAs in Hepatitis C. Please consider the specification and return the signed contract to Carol Droubay, Pharmacy Contracts Officer, Primary Care Contractor Services if you are identified as a community pharmacy to take part in this service.
As part of the contract it is expected that pharmacies will develop a care plan for each patient engaged with the service during their treatment. A number of resources are enclosed and contact numbers for further information. When a patient is identified for initiation on DAA therapy a member of the hepatology team will contact the patients named pharmacy and agree a time for the hepatology team to visit the pharmacy to discuss the treatment plan and provide contacts/points of referral.
- Service Specification – Pharmaceutical Care for Patients Prescribed Direct Acting Antivirals in Hepatitis C Treatment
- Contract – Pharmaceutical Care for Patients Prescribed Direct Acting Antivirals in Hepatitis C Treatment
- Forth Valley Hepatitis Service – Information for Community Pharmacists
- Generic Risk Assessment for PCR Tool – Direct Acting Antivirals (September 2015)
- Flow Chart – Community Pharmacy Supply of Direct Acting Antivirals