Monitored Dosage Systems (MDS)
Monitored Dosage Systems (MDS) can be used to assist patients with compliance. These devices are obtained and filled by community pharmacies.
NHS Forth Valley will reimburse the cost of the boxes under the following circumstances:
- Patients provided with the MDS are not resident in a residential or nursing home.
- The devices are obtained from Venalink or Omnicell (formerly MTS). Both of these companies can supply devices branded with the NHS Scotland logo. Devices with pharmacy contractors’ logos or names will not be reimbursed.
- Contractors will submit a copy of the invoice with their MDS Claim Form. This may be submitted by the pharmacy or by their head office purchasing team, as appropriate.
- Contractors will specify how many patients are being supplied with MDS devices and confirm they are NHS Forth Valley patients.
- All new patients requesting a MDS will be assessed by the pharmacy for suitability using the NHS Forth Valley Compliance Needs Assessment Form. A copy of the completed assessment should be retained by the pharmacy for audit purposes.
- NHS Forth Valley will audit and monitor the use and price of MDS devices for payment verification purposes.