Links to information sources to assist Community Pharmacies in managing supply problems/shortages are provided below.
Intermittent supply problems can occur due to either manufacturing issues causing shortages of branded products (‘Manufacturer Cannot Supply’, MCS) or supply issues affecting medicines, resulting in generics being difficult to obtain at Scottish Drug Tariff Part 7 (SDT) prices, or at all.
Supply issues are constantly in flux – Community Pharmacists will have access to up to date information on availability via wholesalers.
Information sources to assist in managing supply problems/shortages
- Current information on Supply Issue with local Forth Valley advice. (Last Updated: 23rd May 2022) – this document is updated on a regular basis
- NHS Forth Valley Shortages Flowchart to assist in managing supply problems
- Community Pharmacy Scotland have a Shortages Page which provides links to various resources for Community Pharmacists:
- A shortages guidance document produced by Community Pharmacy Scotland and endorsed by NHS Boards
- Part 7 shortage information on revised prices for agreed Part 7 shortages
- Shortages Reporter – should be used by Community Pharmacies to report all shortages to Community Pharmacy Scotland.
- Links to the full list of Medicines Supply Alert Notices and any current Serious Shortages Protocols issued by Scottish Government.
The advice in the Forth Valley Supply Issues document is not intended to serve as a standard of medical care or be applicable in every situation. Decisions regarding the treatment of individual patients must be made by the clinician in light of that patient’s presenting clinical condition and with reference to current good medical practice.