Development of Dementia Friendly Pharmacies in Forth Valley
Dementia Friendly Pharmacy Tier 1 – Providing a Dementia Friendly Environment
Over 90,000 people in Scotland have dementia, with over 5000 of them living in Forth Valley. These people and their families will regularly use the community pharmacy network and our pharmacy teams will offer help and support.
Alzheimer’s Scotland has developed the Dementia Friends initiative to raise awareness about Dementia and reduce the stigma. The initiative aims to increase understanding of dementia and highlight the small things you can do to help people with the condition. This could be helping someone find a product or being patient at the till if someone with dementia is taking longer to pay.
The aim of this project is to support all community pharmacies in Forth Valley to become more ‘Dementia Friendly’. The documents below outline the contractual obligations:
- Development of Dementia Friendly Pharmacies in Forth Valley – Service Specification
- Dementia Friendly Pharmacies – Framework (May 2018)
- Dementia Friendly Pharmacies – Contract 2018
- Dementia Friendly Pharmacies – Claim Form (May 2018)
- Dementia Friendly Pharmacies – Checklist
- Dementia Friendly Pharmacies – Action Plan
On completion of Tier 1, contractors are encouraged to consider contracting to provide Tier 2 Post Diagnostic Support for their dementia patients and their families/carers.
Dementia Friendly Pharmacy Tier 2 – Post Diagnostic Support
Dementia Friendly Pharmacy Tier 2 involves the pharmacist engaging with patients who are newly diagnosed with dementia and providing patients and/or patients’ family/carers with small interventions as part of post diagnostic support. This includes monthly interventions delivering key messages and checking the patient is not experiencing side effects of medication and is compliant with medication. Pharmacists will also be given information and training on the key interventions to make and appropriate tertiary services which the patient and family/carers should be signposted to for further support.
Dementia Friendly Pharmacy Tier 2 Supporting Documents
- Post Diagnostic Service Specification
- Post Diagnostic Support Care Package Contract 2018/2019
- Post Diagnostic Support Claim Form
- Post Diagnostic Support Contact Record
Additional Resources and Local Groups