Gluten Free Food Service
From February 2014, both adult and paediatric patients with a confirmed diagnosis of either Coeliac Disease or Dermatitis Herpetiformis have been able to benefit from a Community Pharmacy based Gluten-Free Food (GFF) Service. This is a national initiative introduced by Scottish Government. More information regarding the service specification and remuneration is available from NHS Circular PCA(P)(2013)29.
- The GFF Service allows patients to self-manage their gluten free prescription with the help of Community Pharmacy rather than General Practice. Patients will be identified and informed of the national Gluten-Free Food (GFF) Service by their GP. The GP will also provide the patient with the Patient Registration Form.
- Patients can select products from the Gluten Free Product List (updated February 2019) up to their maximum allocated units.
- A number of products with no equivalent replacement were discontinued by manufactures in 2017. Pharmacists are reminded that they can forward patient requests for additions to the formulary using the form below. Please note any requests must be available on the National Gluten Free Prescribable Product List, however no sweet biscuit products will be considered for addition.
- If a patient is requesting ANY non-formulary product then please follow the NHS Forth Valley Prescribing of Non-Formulary Gluten Free Food Flowchart (see below). Requests for ANY non-formulary products should be accompanied by a ‘Request to supply a non-formulary gluten free food product’. Once this form has been authorised by a dietician, please fax a copy of this form to Pharmacy Services on 01324 673616. This form should be retained in the premises as long as the patient continues to receive gluten free products.
- Patients are required to complete a Gluten-Free Food Requirement Order Form with their choices up to their maximum allocated units. This should be retained in the pharmacy for 12 months.
- A Patient Leaflet and Patient Information Pack for Gluten-Free Foods are available from NHS Inform.
- Each patient presenting with a Patient Registration Form requires the Community Pharmacist to complete a Pharmacy Care Record (PCR). A Pharmacy Annual Coeliac Disease Health Check needs to be carried out for CD patients aged 16 years and older. The Health Check is contained in the PCR Gluten Free support tool.
- An electronic support pack is available from NES and can be accessed by logging in to the NES Digital Portal – Turas
- More information about Coeliac Disease can be found on the Coeliac UK Website.
- More information regarding Coeliac Disease and Dermatitis Herpetiformis can be found on the NHS Inform website. The site also provides information about the Gluten-Free Food (GFF) Service and is a useful resource for signposting patients.
- Gluten Free Assessment – Paper Template
- Prescribing of Non-Formulary Gluten Free Food Process
- Gluten Free Sample GP Referral Letter
- Request Form for Dieticians – Supply of a Non Formulary Gluten Free Food
- Request Form for Pharmacists – Addition of Gluten Free Food Product to NHS Forth Valley Gluten Free Food List
- Gluten Free Food – Patient Unit Change Request Process
- Gluten Free Food – Annual Health Assessment – PCR